Friday, January 22, 2021

Reflections on the Sanctity of Life


Dear Parish Faithful,

"Now the word of the Lord came to me saying, Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations." (Jeremiah 1:4)



 

This coming Sunday, January 24, is designated as Sanctity of Life Sunday within the Orthodox Church in America. For that reason I am including here some links to meditations/reflections that I have written over the years on the issue of abortion. There is a good deal of overlap in terms of the overall content, but each one touches on a certain aspect of the "abortion problem" that may lend it a certain singularity; and many have some fine quotations from other prominent thinkers. They are also "dated" in that there are references to more immediate events that are now not as relevant. But I am simply passing them on in their original form. Please feel free to look them over as we continue to affirm the Sanctity of Life.


Two Statements on 'Sanctity of Life'

Sanctity of Life: Embracing the Christian Ideal

Total Cost of Abortion - The Salvo Article

Orthodox Liturgical Tradition Values Life in the Womb

Life: “The most sublime expression of God’s creative activity”


Fr. Steven