Saturday, August 3, 2024

Sister Vassa: 'Choosing the Living God over a dead one'

 


Coffee With Sister Vassa

CHOOSING THE LIVING GOD OVER A DEAD ONE

 

“‘…And as for the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what was said to you by God, ‘I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’? He is not God of the dead, but of the living.’ And when the crowd heard it, they were astonished at his teaching.” (Mt 22: 31-33)

Our God is not God of the dead, but God of the living. What a powerful little fact, for me to carry with me today. Whenever I choose to embrace our living and life-creating God, as the One-and-Only God of my day, stepping into communion with Him in my heart, I join the ranks of the truly living. 

So let me turn away from any death-bringing thinking or focus. For example, let me not be dragged down by my grief over my deceased loved one(s), realizing that they, too, live on, in God’s loving hands. And let me not be sucked into serving other, death-bringing and fear-producing “gods” this morning, who preside over the dead, including the multitudes of “walking dead” leading a God-less existence in our world today. Let me let God be present to me this sunny morning, and let me be present to Him, as I walk the joyful, cross-carrying journey in His light. “I shall not die, but live, and declare the works of the Lord!” (Ps 117/118: 17)