Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Guest Film Review: 'MAN OF GOD'


Dear Parish Faithful and Friends in Christ,

Here is a guest review of the film, 'Man of God', which we recently saw on March 21 & 28.


Man of God






Settling into my seat, I anticipated a good, but lengthy film of just under two hours. Knowing the general premise for the film and having read a few excellent reviews, I knew it would be a positive experience. However, I could not have prepared for the impression it continues to leave on me.

The film, Man of God, is a poignant portrayal of a holy man whose singular desire was to live unto the Lord. Yet for all his purity, we witness the many obstacles in the form of other persons — many identifying as godly, themselves, who collectively beat down this innocent man. As a viewer, I feel frustrated and even angry at seeing this injustice. But what surprises me is how I cannot stay that way because of the way St. Nektarios responds. His calm demeanor — part personality but more spiritual development — neutralizes those natural human reactions with those that are driven by the Holy Spirit. I was left ignorant of what to feel, but given a clear example of how to act.

Without guile this film holds before the viewer the mirror of seeing certain characters in our own face. I could not help but see myself in Mr. President (his need for authority), in Kostas (his vicarious ambition), and even the mother of one of the young nuns (her need for control). There are many others, to be sure, I could identify with... and it left me with the sad realization that the person with whom I could see least resemblance to was the man of St. Nektarios. But I was left wanting to be more like him! Constant in prayer and fasting... never yielding to anger due to the slanderous comments or even physical assaults of those who sought to humiliate, hurt, and destroy him.

St. Nektarios’ humanity is relatable in his desire to know what he had done to deserve the treatment he received from those who professed to love him. Yet, sometimes there are no answers. And he reminds us that if our faith is based on the actions of men... there is no hope. Our hope must be in God for He will never fail us if we persist in trusting Him.

I was moved at seeing St. Nektarios tell others in a few scenes the truth that God loves them. How often have we heard these words told to us? How deeply do I believe them? How truly has the person who has said those words to us actually believe this truth themselves so that they are convincing to the hearer? I left the film convinced that if I could allow myself to believe undoubtedly the incomprehensible truth that God, indeed, loves me, a sinner, then my entire life would be completely transformed. But even to acknowledge a little that we are lovable by the Holy God means to feel the gravity of our brokenness.... and it hurts. It is a process, however, in which we can make progress.

The film credits were rolling before I could process the ending. Though I was tired from a long day, I couldn’t believe two hours had flown by. I wanted more. It wasn’t enough. I needed to learn more from this man, from this holy father.

Few films are worth our time and entertainment, and even fewer those that would seek to elevate our lives by the message it conveys. This is one of those few. Like a great classic book which is a “must read,” this film is a “must see.” Yelena Popovic, the director and producer (along with several others) of the film has given us an early Paschal basket of holy virtues in the life of St. Nektarios on which to feast. Let us attend! And eagerly desire the table of the Lord!