Dear Parish Faithful,
Beginning today, there are two different ways of approaching December 25, expressed in "slogan form:"
"Only forty days of shopping left before Christmas!"
"Only forty days of charity, prayer and fasting left before Nativity!"
Which sounds more appealing, and which will become our focus for the next forty days? Will we be able to further expand our church life for the next forty days; or will it be further marginalized by other preoccupations? Obviously, we will be combining both worlds to some extent. Yet hopefully, as pilgrims on a journey, we will remain on the long road leading to the mystical Bethlehem within the heart, where Christ will be born, making each and every one of us a "God-bearer" in resemblance of the Theotokos; rather than stray off the road and tumble into the "ditch" of consumerism, or aimlessly roam toward the "dead end" of superficial hedonism. The Church provides the compass that will guide us by the interior star shining brightly in our uplifted minds toward the hallowed cave and the Infant Who is the Word of God incarnate. Without this moral and spiritual compass, we are in danger of heeding the seductive and soothing voice of the latest incarnation of Herod, whose real objective is to destroy the presence of Christ in our hearts and in the world, so that darkness will prevail. In short, life is about choices, and these choices provide orientation in our lives. If we choose the "Orient from on high" then all will be well.
Below is attached a flyer that provides us with a list of the types of goods we will be collecting for our Nativity Food Drive, provided by our chairperson, Francis Fowler-Collins.
- Nativity Season Food Drive
- Christ the Savior/Holy Spirit Orthodox Church
- ... is sponsoring a Parish Food Drive for the needy,
- November 18 - December 16.
- You may make donations by leaving items in the two bins on the stage; they will be plainly marked.
- Or email, write, or call us to make a donation by mail.
We would appreciate donations in the following categories:
- Nonperishable foods&endash;such as canned goods, pasta, rice, etc.
- Products for babies&endash;such as disposable diapers, baby food, etc.
- Paper products&endash;such as tissues, toilet paper, paper towels, etc.
- Products for personal hygiene&endash;such as soap, toothpaste, toothbrushes, etc.
- Cleaning products&endash;such as dish detergent, laundry detergent, etc.
Inasmuch as you did it to the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me. (Matt. 25:40)